Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daylight Savings Time

I got my wife an LG Optimus M when she decided to switch over to MetroPCS with me. Except for the slightly smaller screen size, it seems to be better than my Huawei Ascend especially with respect to responsiveness. The hardware specs aren't too different, so I'm guessing the difference is Android 2.2 (vs. Android 2.1).

There has been one serious disappointment, though. When Daylight Savings Time rolled around on Sunday, the LG Optimus M was still stuck in Standard Time. I checked Date and Time Settings, but there was no option for controlling the clock at all (not even whether the clock should be updated automatically or not). Fortunately, I found a thread on the DST issue where someone suggested rebooting and briefly pulling the battery when the phone is off. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that earlier. But, the good news is that it worked. Now the LG Optimus M is finally in DST. I wonder what the problem was. Did the phone receive a DST update, but it couldn't be applied until a reboot? Please comment if you know.

1 comment:

  1. My Optimus U (US Cellular) did the same thing last fall and this spring. Rebooting the phone (no need to pull the battery, as far as I can tell) will update the time, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. The phone seems to be possibly going by the "old" DST dates, so it updates the time when it shouldn't and doesn't update when it should. So my alarm has gone off an hour off a few times now. I can't find anything online to fix it and I've contacted my carrier, but it might be an Android issue.

    ReplyDelete